To make it easy on yourself and others when buying presents for children, think about building collections of toys that engage the child for longer than a few minutes. When children focus and use their hands to manipulate something, they develop concentration and independence – valuable skills for life!
Some ‘busy hands’ collection ideas that will give you, your extended family or friends something that can easily be added to include:
• Blocks of different sizes, colours and shapes (wooden is great).
• Duplo and Lego, available second-hand as they last forever. Extra bases are fantastic – they’re inexpensive and give a starting place to build on to.
• Dress ups – these can be made, or treasured bits found in op-shops – a good selection of these items will last for many years.
• Animals are the perfect toys to collect bit by bit – build up a farm, a dinosaur, zoo or sea collection.
• Stationary – think tapes (Japanese washi tapes are very now and so creative – check out the Pinterest page for washi ideas), coloured paper, a new set of pens.
• Car collections – make a racetrack complete with block landscapes, or a shoebox garage.
• Dolls – making clothes, furniture, blankets or a little quilt will give so many hours of creative play.